I need another reverb like I need a hole in the head. But I said that last time. Do we need another reverb? Who knows. But when a company like FabFilter comes out with one, it’s very much worth paying attention to. So they have my attention as they have released their newest plugin, Pro-R.
According to FabFilter, Pro-R doesn’t aim to emulate any particular hardware, which is refreshing. And the feature that draws my eye is the ability to EQ the decay in the most fluid way I’ve seen thus far in a reverb. And of course, the display and interface is drop-dead gorgeous.
Will it warrant a purchase when you likely already have your fair share of reverbs? I don’t know. But you can bet I’ll be taking a look at it, and a review should follow fairly soon. The full press release follows:
FULL PRESS RELEASE:
FabFilter is proud to announce availability of FabFilter Pro-R, a high-end algorithmic reverb plug-in with musical controls and a very natural sound. Its advanced algorithms have been carefully designed to blend well with the source and fit easily into a mix. FabFilter Pro-R is bursting with innovations like the intuitive Space control that seamlessly switches between dozens of room models with automatic decay time adjustment, and the industry-first Decay Rate EQ concept that introduces free adjustment of the decay time over the frequency spectrum. Together with the built-in Post EQ and an abundance of high-quality factory presets, FabFilter Pro-R delivers pristine sound quality and maximum ease of use.
A musical approach
FabFilter Pro-R takes a musical approach to reverb, offering user-friendly, non-technical controls like Brightness, Character, Distance, and Stereo Width to tweak the reverb sound. The stepless Space control lets the user fade between dozens of different, carefully-tuned room models, and automatically chooses a matching decay time for a natural-sounding result. Behind the scenes, each of these settings influences the internal algorithms in multiple ways to deliver exactly what was intended — without requiring a degree in reverb science.
Shape the decay time
The decay time of a real room often varies wildly over the frequency spectrum, which is one of the key ingredients of a room’s reverb character. To simulate this, the industry-first Decay Rate EQ concept in FabFilter Pro-R offers completely free adjustment of the decay time over the frequency spectrum. Since it uses parametric EQ bands instead of a traditional crossover system, it provides much more flexibility to shape the decay time characteristics. Together with the integrated six-band Post EQ, designing reverbs of any character has never been easier.
- Beautifully designed room models, ranging from small ambiences and rooms to large concert halls and huge cathedrals.
- Carefully developed to easily sit in the mix, without causing undesirable coloration, density or phase problems.
- Gorgeous Retina interface with large interactive reverb display featuring Decay Rate EQ and Post EQ curves.
- Very easy to set up, with user-friendly, non-technical controls.
- Space control, which smartly and smoothly combines the room model and decay time of the reverb — choose from over a dozen carefully designed room models and seamlessly vary between them, without hearing clicks or unwanted artifacts.
- Decay Rate control, changing the overall decay time from 50% to 200% of the current Space setting.
- Intelligent Stereo Width control, ranging from pure mono to true stereo and beyond.
- Distance control to adjust the proximity to the sound source in the selected space.
- Character control that changes the sound from a clean, transparent decay, to a lively reverb with pronounced reflections and echoes — all the way to an over-modulated chorus-like effect.
- Perfectly tuned Brightness knob, affecting not only overall brightness, but also the decay of high frequencies.
- Predelay control via the bottom bar, ranging from 0 to 500 ms, with optional tempo sync.
- Innovative six-band Decay Rate EQ, with Low/High Shelf, Bell and Notch filters. (Compared to the commonly used low- and high crossover system, the Decay Rate EQ opens a world of possibilities by giving users full control over the decay rate at different frequencies.)
- Six-band Post EQ to equalize the final reverb sound with Low/High Cut up to 96 dB/oct, Low/High Shelf and Bell filters. (Together with the Decay Rate EQ, this lets users design reverbs of any style or character.)
- Real-time spectrum analyzer that also visualizes the decay time at different frequencies.
- Full Screen mode, offering a large analyzer display and Decay Rate EQ and Post EQ controller.
- Multiple interface sizes: Medium, Large and Extra Large.
- Retina support on OS X and High DPI support on Windows.
- GPU-powered graphics acceleration.
- Supports common Pro Tools hardware control surfaces.
FabFilter Pro-R is now available for EUR 169, USD 199 or GBP 149, supporting both Windows and Mac OS X in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX, RTAS and AudioSuite plug-in formats. Bundles with FabFilter Pro-R and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available at: www.fabfilter.com/shop
Existing FabFilter customers can purchase FabFilter Pro-R with very attractive discounts by logging in to their online user account at: www.fabfilter.com/myaccount
System requirements on Windows are either Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP and a VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools, or Mac OS X 10.6 or higher with Intel processor, and an Audio Units host, VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools. Both 64-bit and 32-bit hosts are supported.